Weeks 42-47 - a hiatus in the works

15 March - 28 April 2019 

Well...the "short intermission" referred to at the end of my last post has turned into a five week gap (and counting), during which I have travelled to Morocco twice, been on a work trip to Guernsey and spent a weekend in London supporting my son who was running the London Marathon.  

I've also had people round for meals, plus family and friends staying over during this period when I have been at home (an indication that the project, although not quite finished, is well and truly liveable in).

What I haven't had during this five week gap between postings are replies to emails sent to the builder about meeting up to discuss money matters in dispute and to sort out a programme to complete the outstanding works, snagging and certification.  I've asked that this be completed by 4 June - the anniversary of the start of work on site last year.  Given that it was supposed to be a 10 week build, I don't think that's an unreasonable deadline!  

Plus, I really would like to be able to finish decorating, put down the floor finish in the loft, sort out permanent storage, get stuff out of boxes and put away....

Emails dated 15th and 29th March and 26th April sent to the man in charge and copied to his dad and bother-in-law (the new business partners) have gone unanswered, as has an email sent only to the brother-in-law which I sent on 6th April enquiring if the man in charge is OK and asking him to give his new partner a gentle reminder to get in touch with me.

Until now, the long silence hasn't bothered me greatly.  I haven't been around much to fit in a meeting or more building work.  However, five weeks is a long break in the proceedings and I'm now keen to get over the finishing line.

There has been one small change.... in between trips away, I managed to do a little bit of painting in the loft bedroom to cover some more of the bare plaster




and a bit of gardening so that I can enjoy the outside when the weather is fine.  

My neighbours have also been busy, putting up a tall bamboo screen on their side of the fence between our gardens...Sadly, time does not seem to be healing the rift between us...the barrier is getting higher....


However, I don't mind if the view of their washing is screened!  

And at long last, I've been able to hook up a hose to the new outside tap to water the garden and wash down the fence panels.  Just the water butt to be connected now and the muck to be scraped off the garden paving (where concrete was mixed and materials stored last year) and the garden will be ready for some new planting!

Comments