Week 1 The start of the project - or is it?

4 June 2018  

The big day has arrived.  This is the day work is due to start on site! 

The builders arrive in the morning - the man in charge at the office, the man in charge on site and one of the workers.  We walk around the house and garden, approved drawings in hand, to make sure everyone knows what they are supposed to be doing.  The man in charge calls this a "soft start".  The work will begin properly when the skip arrives tomorrow.  

My mission is to save a space on the street outside my house where the skip can be dropped off. With help from my neighbours we move cars and put out wheelie bins with big signs on them saying "Please do not remove - skip coming tomorrow".  Pleased with myself, I send a photo to the man in charge - we are ready for the skip to be delivered tomorrow!   





The builder texts back.  No skip for a week.  The skip hire company says there is a backlog of skip license applications at the Council and they can't deliver a skip until next Monday.  The building work is on hold for the rest of the week.  I don't know about a "soft start".  I call it a very slow start....



The sideway where the extension will be constructed looks no different at the end of Week 1 of my own grand design, and the back of the house is still clothed in a very vigorous clematis Armandii which I love dearly, but will have to go when the extension is built.... 






5 - 8 June

With no builders to bother me, I spend the rest of the week stripping woodchip paper off the walls of the back room so that - eventually - these walls can be skimmed with new plaster when the structural work is complete.  That seems like a very long way off in the future at the moment....





The last few items have gone into storage.  A dozen or so bags of donations have been collected by a local charity.  Other things have been offered for free on "Freegle"  Oxford's website for giving and taking unwanted things free of charge.  A number of items have been advertised on Gumtree or auctioned on eBay...One way of putting a bit of money into the pot towards new kitchen appliances! 




Comments